Passport Services


Información en español

Richmond Passport Acceptance Facility Information         

The City of Richmond’s City Clerk’s Office is designated as an authorized United States (U.S.) Passport Acceptance Facility and is now accepting applications for passport books and passport cards.  We will accept your application for a U.S. passport and forward all forms and documents to the U.S. Department of State, where your passport will be processed. The Passport Acceptance Office is located at Richmond City Hall, City Clerk's Office, 450 Civic Center Plaza, on the 3rd floor.  

The Passport Acceptance Office is open on the following days by appointment only:

  • Monday and Wednesday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  
  • Friday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. 
  • Closed 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Walk-ins are welcome:

  • Thursday 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. 
Please call (510) 620-6786 to make your appointment.  Please note walk-in appointments are first come, first serve.

Passport Processing Times and Application Status

  • Routine service can take up to 18 weeks.
  • Expedited service (for an additional $60) can take up to 12 weeks. (For faster mailing times, customers may opt to pay for 1-2 day delivery service for applications mailed to Passport Services and for the mailing of their new passport).  
  • Appointment is required if traveling within 3 days for a life-or-death emergency.  Please call the National Passport Information Center at (877) 487-2778 to make an appointment.
Passport application status may take up to 4 weeks from the day you apply to receive a status on your application.  Customers who check the status of their application online at prior to 4 weeks from the date they applied may receive a response of "Application Status: Not Available" or "Not Found".  This means that the application is still in transit to a national passport processing center; therefore, the customer should not be alarmed by the update.

How to Apply for a Passport

Use the Passport Wizard to prepare you to apply for a U.S. passport.  You may also click the appropriate tab below or review the Passport Services Brochure Guide to determine what you need to bring to your appointment and which forms to complete.                          

  1. New Passport
  2. Renew Passport
  3. Lost or Stolen Passport
  4. Fees
  5.  Applications & Forms

Application for U.S. Passport (State Department Form DS-11):

  • If you are applying for the FIRST TIME or have an old passport EXPIRED MORE THAN 5 YEARS, use Form DS-11 

What you need to bring:

  • Passport application (black ink, application should be unsigned) - for first-time applicants and minors under age 16, use Form DS-11.
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship and one photocopy - such as one of the following:
    • Original certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county, or state. Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must also include the full names of the applicant's parent(s).
    • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Original Naturalization Certificate
    • Original Certificate of Citizenship
  • Personal photo identification (driver's license, passport, school ID)
  • Photocopy of photo identification (front and back)
  • Current passport if applicable
  • One (2x2) color passport photo (passport photo services are not available at this facility - you must bring your own passport photo)
  • Supporting documents in regard to name change, adoption, assumed name, sole custody of a minor, or legal guardianship of a minor
  • Passport application fee (payable by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State) - Fees Chart
  • City of Richmond execution fee of $35.00 (payable by check or money order to the City of Richmond)

Applying for a child age 15 and under:

  • Both parents must appear with valid personal ID
  • One or more PARENT IS NOT A US CITIZEN, use Form DS-11 and bring non-citizen parent’s Green Card or passport with Visa

Applying for a child age 16 to 17:

  • If the child is unable to present photo ID with signature, a parent must appear to identify the child 
  • One or more PARENT IS NOT A US CITIZEN, use Form DS-11 and bring non-citizen parent’s Green Card or passport with Visa