Molate Naval Fuel Depot
information, contact the City of Richmond, (510) 620-6512
(visual tour) or (return to home page)
Molate Naval Fuel Depot covers approximately 423 acres
in the Protero Hills in the City of Richmond, California and is
about 1.5 miles north of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge in the
northwest portion of the city of Richmond. The facility's
topography ranges from sea level to steep slopes that rise as
high as 500 feet above sea level. Point Molate is surrounded on
the north, east and south by Chevron and San Pablo and San
Francisco Bays to the west. Of the 290 terrestrial acres,
approximately 90 acres are developable and generally below a 15
The "Village of Point
was placed on the National Register of historic places in October
1978 (#78000658). Of the 65 standing
at Point Molate, at least 47 are within the 71 acre historic
area. Of these, 35 are listed on the National Register of
Historic Places, including the 29 residential housing units.
The massive crenellated
parapet and cornet turrets which define the architecture of Winehaven are reminiscent of a Rhineland
castle. The brick and steel three story structure reveals an
architectural style and construction technique long removed from
the urban landscape. The history of the Point Molate site
- Home of Indigenous
Native Americans, the Ohlone. Although burial mounds once
remained on the property, they have been destroyed by
years of industrial activity.
- Early 1800's, land
used by the padres of Mission Delores and later became a
- 1871, Chinese
fisherman develop shrimp camp which lasts for more than
- In 1906, the
California Wine Association (CALWA) began construction of
Winehaven and it opened the following summer and by 1909,
was in full operation. Once identified as the
largest winery in the world, the glory of Winehaven came
to an end with the advent of prohibition in 1919. In
1937, CALWA dissolved and began selling off its holdings.
- In 1941, Point
Molate was acquired by the U.S. Navy and began its life
as a Naval Fuel Depot until September of 1995
when it was officially closed.
Closure and Disposal
The attached is a broad
overview of the Navy Planning Process in the closure and disposal
of Naval facilities.
City of Richmond Reuse
- In 1995, the
Department of Defense submits proposed base closure list
to the Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC).
Point Molate Naval Fuel Depot on this BRAC IV closure
- Commission submits
list to the President.
- On July 14, 1995,
President Clinton approves the list.
- Point Molate
ceased operations on September 30, 1995.
- In September,
1995, the City of Richmond establishes the City Council
as the Local Reuse Authority (LRA).
- On October 16,
1995, the LRA establishes a 45-member Blue Ribbon
Advisory Committee to help prepare a draft Reuse Plan.
- In October of
1996, City contracts with consulting firm to assist in
the development of a Reuse Plan.
- After an 18 month
process, Reuse Plan developed and presented to LRA in
March of 1997. LRA approves plan and Plan sent to
Department of Defense for review.
- Negotiations on
Cooperative Agreement with the Navy for Caretaker
Maintenance of Point Molate.
- Citizen staffed
Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) Meets Monthly to Monitor
and Advise Navy on Cleanup/Remediation Process.
- Negotiating Master
Lease Agreement with the Navy to allow Interim Leasing.
- Navy preparing
joint Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)/Environmental
Impact Report (EIR) Document.
- General Plan and
Zoning Changes will be Necessary for Long-Term Reuse of
Point Molate Property.
- Future Project
Proposals will be Analyzed for Consistency with Final
approved reuse Plan and Certified Program EIR/EIS.
Subsequent Negative Declaration and Supplemental
EIRs will be Prepared for Specific Project
Proposals as Necessary.
- Continue to Market
Point Molate for Interim Lease Consistent with Long Term
Use, e.g. Winery.
- Seek Master
Developer through Request for Proposals or Request for
- Expand Enterprise
Zone Area to include Point Molate.
Establishing Redevelopment Project Area.
For more information,
contact the City of Richmond, (510) 620-6512